Price per night:
Domaine Thomson is a lovely guesthouse in the Ariege region of the Pyrenees, with ensuite bedrooms, huge swimming pool, outdoor terrace, free wifi, opportunities for walking, horseriding, cycling, cathar castles, wine tour. A 15 minute drive to Mirepoix, and only 1 hour from both Toulouse and Carcassonne airports.
Description of Chambres D'Hotes:Domaine Thomson is a lovely guesthouse in a small village in the Ariege region of the Pyrenees, France, nestling amongst rolling hills. It is a great place to `get away from it all`, without being too `far from the madding crowd. A 15 minute drive from Mirepoix, ville Cathar, and 1 hour from Carcassonne or Toulouse, the two nearest airports.'Domaine Thomson' offers:
* Peace and quiet, and a most beautiful outlook.
* Two double/twin ensuite bedrooms and also a family bedroom that can sleep four with access to a family sized bathroom.
* An outdoor sheltered patio, for sitting/breakfasting.
* Private large, outdoor swimming pool.
* Free wireless internet to all guests
* Big parking area and lockable storage areas for bicycles.
* Evening meals will on occasion be available, reservations made in advance.
* A large dining room, and a huge fireplace in the sitting room.
* Kitchen area available also at an extra per/night cost
* A house built about 1830, that although old, is comfortably furnished, retaining interesting features
* A great place to stay to use as a base and explore the surrounding countryside, by walking, cycling, horse-riding, or just taking the car out and going a bit further. This whole area is culturally/historically/architecturally interesting, not forgetting the all important - where to eat, what to eat! I have also a reasonable knowledge of local walks and can recommend different routes that give stunning views, and pass through a variety of landscapes.
Attractions:The location of the guesthouse is a beautiful village called 'Engravies'. A 15 minutes drive from Mirepoix the local medieval market town. Surprisingly the area is matched in beauty with a range of activities whilst keeping its traditional appearance. Local activities including: * Horse riding * Cycling * Canoeing / Kayaking * Walking * Bird watching * Skiing * Hunting / Fishing * Golf * And of course, swimming / sunbathing The local area is steeped in history with a covering of French aesthetic. Local towns Mirepoix and Carcassonne are both surviving medieval locations, Mirepoix with its Tudor like architecture, and Carcassonne with its medieval castle. Local Activities Year-round * Walking: Infinite walking trails * Horse riding: Local riding stables in the same village * Cycling: An area for both, flat, gradient and downhill mountain biking cyclists * Golf: Courses within a short drive away. Winter * Skiing : Resorts within an easy hours drive of the guest house o Cross country skiing o Down hill skiing * Ski stations: o Ax-les-Thermes. o Mont d`Holmes. * Why not also sample the natural hot springs. Summer * Swimming: in our private pool * Canoeing / Kayaking: offered at many towns nearby at a variety of levels Le Tour de France You either love it or . it grows on you. Every year it passes through this area one way or another. You don't have to travel far to find a nice spot to set up by the side of the road and let the spectacle pass.
DirectionsEngravies can easily be reached from two big airports both within one and a quarter hours drive and with car rental facilities. Major roads and easy to navigate motorways will take you most of the way, then a short spell on quiet country roads bringing you to the guesthouse.
* On leaving the airport follow signs for Toulouse, then once onto the main road (Periferique) follow signs for Montpelier.
* Continue along the Periferique, don`t be alarmed if for a while there are no signs for Montpelier, just continue.
* At the start of the Autoroute for Montpelier, Carcassonne, and Barcelona, it is also sign-posted to Foix and Andorra. You need to take a ticket, it is a fee paying motorway, then when you leave you pay.
* After going along this for some kilometres you branch off the autoroute following the signs for Pamiers, Foix, and Andorra.
* At end of autoroute place ticket into machine. It will cost Euros 4.40 or Euros 5 depending on time of day.
* Continue till second exit for Pamiers. You will pass a commercial estate with a giant Carrefour (supermarche) clearly visible from the carriageway. Take this exit sign-posted for Mirepoix. It is a tight turn.
* At roundabout take first exit direction Mirepoix.
* Continue and pass through Les Pujols.
* Take the second sign on the right after this to Vira and Dun. This comes very quickly after a turn-off towards Les Issards.
* Follow road through Vira and continue 2 miles.
* Turn right direction Engravies.
* Enter village of Engravies over bridge, continue 100meters then turn left at house with green shutters.
* On leaving Carcassonne airport (Salveza) turn right.
* Follow directions for Montreal.
* After Montreal head towards Fanjeaux, and then Mirepoix.
* From Mirepoix follow directions towards Pamiers.
* This road passes through several villages; Besset, Coutens, Tourtrol, Rieucros.
* After Rieucros turn left following signs for Vira and Dun. Pass through Vira and about 2 miles further turn right signposted Engravies.
* Enter village of Engravies over bridge, continue 100meters then turn left at house with